Puerto Madryn is not only a destination to visit during the whales season. It is also…
Just arriving at the entrance of the Dutch bar Van Koning a watchman statue invites us to enter. According to the history, in the 17TH century the owners of taverns in the Netherlands made signs of lights with lanterns to warn those who were on the boats that the place was open.
Once inside, the atmosphere takes us to the traditions and symbols of the Dutch culture as the details of the statue of Van Gogh between tables or photos of Maxima Zorreguieta when she was a child.
Van Koning is one of the oldest bars in the area of Las Cañitas, and it was a pioneer in the Dutch style. Set in a 17TH-century Dutch Tavern it has rustic wood, dark walls just lit with the light of candles and old lamps, tables and wooden benches and paved floors.
You can feel Dutch culture in every corner and as tradition dictatesis is worthy tasting the house dishes, beers and Argentinian finger food, “picadas”. For example there are chicken croquettes with BBQ sauce, meatballs of pork with spicy cilantro sauce, and a variety of potatoes and sauces.
It is a great and friendly place to go with friends, especially the first Wednesday of each month, where as it is a custom in the country, the Dutch meet in this bar to maintain cultural and social customs and celebrate with their compatriots.
The atmosphere is young and informal and it has a very large menu of imported beers and good drinks. Beers can be found ranging from the Dutch Bavaria, Heineken and Grolsch and the beer of the House ”Otro Mundo” to Canadians, Czechs, Belgians, British, Japanese and German beers.
Van Koning´s Tips
- The place offers Happy Hour of imported beers daily from 7PM to 10PM.
- The bar tends to offer promotions at very affordable prices. At the time of this publication on Mondays there was as promotion: Shish kebab of pork loin and roasted vegetables + Heineken = $60.
- On Thursdays women have a 30% discount on the menu of meals until 23 pm.
- Not all beers are always available. Ask the waiters which ones are on stock.
- In summer to get tables outside you have to go early because they run out first.
- Don’t miss the Van Koning´ potato with cheddar, green onions and bacon!
- Address: Baez 325, Las Cañitas. Capital Federal.
- Telephone: (011) 4772-9909.
- Check Facebook for up-to-date promotions: Van Koning