Puerto Madryn is not only a destination to visit during the whales season. It is also…
The Museum of Modern Art, better known by its acronym in English (MoMA) is one of the most visited attractions in New York. Today we recommend you some Tips for visiting the MoMA in New York and not die in the attempt.
The MoMA in New York has the world’s most important modern and contemporary art collection. Imagine more than 100 thousand pieces on permanent display, collected in one place.
Founded in 1929, MoMA was the first museum dedicated to the modern era. Here are located some of the most famous works of modern art. The permanent collection has, for example, great artists such as Andy Warhol, Picasso, Jackson Pollock, Van Gogh, Dali, Kandinsky, Monet and many more. In addition, its temporary exhibitions tend to be very interesting as collections of photography, architecture and design.
A good idea is to plan with anticipation what are you interested in for optimize the time of the visit.
Tips for visiting the MoMA in New York
- To avoid the long queues of entrance to the MoMA the best thing to do is to buy the tickets online in advance.
- With the New York Pass the entrance to the MoMA in New York is already included with the discount card and have privileged access.
- Every Friday from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm the entrance is free. You should go early, do not forget that it is one of the most visited attractions in New York.
- The 2nd floor is dedicated to rooms of books, drawings, prints and films.
- Those interested in visit collections of graphic and industrial design, architecture, photography and drawing should visit the 3rd floor.
- The collection of Jackson Pollock, referent of American abstract expressionism, is very wide and it is located on the fourth floor. Also on this floor there are the pop art works of Andy Warhol.
- On the 5th floor there are located the famous works of the Young ladies of Avignon (1906) by Pablo Picasso, and the Persistence of memory by Salvador Dalí.
- From the 6th floor you can appreciate the view of the Midtown of Manhattan through its large windows.
- If you have good weather the sculpture garden is a good place to sit among the sculptures and vegetation to rest eyes and legs, enjoying the outdoors.
- You can download the application of MoMA for free to learn about the temporary exhibitions, plan your visit, search works of the collection or make multimedia visits.
Useful Information about the MoMA in New York
- 11 W 53rd St, New York, Estados Unidos.
- Adults: USD $25.
- Students: USD $14
- Adults 65 years and older: USD $18
- Under 16: free.
- Friday from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm: admission is free.
- To buy tickets for the MoMA click here.
- Saturday to Thursday: 10:30 am to 5:30 pm.
- Friday: 10:30 am to 8:00 pm.
- Every Thursday in July and August it closes at 8:00 pm.
- The Museum is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas days.
How to get there
- Metro line E, M up to 5 Ave. / 53 St.; Line F to 57 St.; Lines B, D, E 7 Ave.