Puerto Madryn is not only a destination to visit during the whales season. It is also…
Puerto Madryn is one of the most important tourist destinations in the Patagonia Argentina. In this post we want to recommend some activities and what to do in Puerto Madryn during a weekend.
What to do in Puerto Madryn during a weekend
Within the circuits and the places that you can visit in Puerto Madryn are:
- Whale watching: Since June the southern whale “Franca” is the protagonist of the Golfo Nuevo. Each year the animal reaches to the coast for the reproductive cycle. There are two types of sighting of these cetaceans: embarked and coastal. For more information about this activity we recommend reading the following post.
- Visit the Oceanographic and Natural Sciences Museum: Located in the Chalet Pujol it exhibits collections of minerals, flora and terrestrial fauna and marine, as well as fossils. The different rooms range from the history of Madryn, with special attention to the Welsh immigration, to the ecological diversity of the geography of Chubut.
- Make a full day Tour to Punta Tombo: This tour includes a visit to the Mainland colony of Magellanic penguins of Punta Tombo, Puerto Rawson (where you can see dolphins) and Gaiman Welsh tea.
Diving with sea lions: The town was declared Argentina’s Diving Capital. One of the favorite activities of tourists is scubadiving with sea lions, a unique and amazing experience. This activity is performed throughout the year in ten underwater parks and different shipwrecks of the Golfo Nuevo. Only 17 km/11 miles away from Puerto Madryn is Punta Loma, a rookery of Southern Sea lions. You can make dives underwater baptism, as well as courses and various daily and nightly expeditions to see the flora and fauna. And for those who have no experience in diving or do not dare to the depth of the sea you can enjoy this tour snorkeling from the surface since the sea lions also swim there. For more information about this activity we recommend reading the following post.
- Visit the Municipal Museum of Art: It is the southernmost in the world. Throughout the year it offers a space to present the most outstanding regional artists with shows and exhibitions. Address: Avenida Roca 444. The entrance is free.
- Enjoy the gastronomy: The city boasts a wide gastronomic offer, where you can taste the typical products of the area: fish, seafood and Patagonian lamb. Throughout the month of July takes place the gastronomic circuit “Madryn al Plato”, with proposals for gourmet dishes and promotional prices in most of the restaurants in the city.
- Experience Rural tourism: You can live a unique and unforgettable experience in some of the houses located a few kilometers from the city. They are spaces dedicated to agrotourism which combine the traditional livestock with tourism, creating an interaction of the visitor with the countryside life. You can click here for more information.