The relaxed air and the short distance make Colonia (Uruguay) an ideal destination for the…
Since the weather is not right to enjoy its beaches, today we recommend 5 places to visit in Colonia during the winter.
5 places to visit in Colonia during the winter
1) 5 places to visit in Colonia during the winter: Bulls´Square
Today it is one of the symbols of the city of Colonia del Sacramento. It is a huge Stadium opened in 1910 for the bullfights that was closed in 1912 by the official ban on these activities. You can still see its architecture and its value in the history of the city. It is located in the Barrio Real de San Carlos, a residential neighborhood away from the Centre of Colonia, about 5 kms. You can enjoy the way going along the rambla and renting a bike.
2) 5 places to visit in Colonia during the winter: Aquarium
It was built as a large artificial grotto in an old cinema owned by the Catholic Church in whose walls you can see native fish in its natural habitat set in the 12 fish tanks.
It is an ideal venture to get to know the fishes of the Uruguayan rivers and streams and a very good option to enjoy the free time in Colonia during the winter and for the children who encounter many didactic activities.
3) 5 places to visit in Colonia during the winter: The Lighthouse
One of the most charming places of Colonia is the lighthouse from the 19th century. It is very difficult to ignore it since it makes visible from the pier. It is located in the small square of May 25 in the historical centre of the city. It is ideal to climb to appreciate the historic district from another point of view where you can see a wonderful view of Colonia.
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 1 pm until sunset. Weekends from 11 until sunset.
4) 5 places to visit in Colonia during the winter: Railway Museum
It is located in front of the Bull´s Square. It is an ideal place to know about the history of the city and its beginnings. It is the place where it was the train station that allowed to arrive at the shows of the famous square. We recommend visiting it at noon as it has a very good restaurant and the lounge is located inside the old wagons, as if you were travelling in time.
- TIP: There are 30-minute guided tours that cost approximately $2.
5) 5 places to visit in Colonia during the winter: Matriz Church
It is one of the oldest churches in Uruguay, built in 1680, being a true historical structure. It is located in front of the Plaza de Armas and is a must for all those who want to know in depth the history of Colonia. Around it, there are several restaurants and bars to take a break.
Post about Colonia
- Useful information to travel to Uruguay
- How to spend a weekend in Colonia
- Trip to Colonia
- The Top 5 Things to Do in Colonia
To find accommodation in Colonia click here.[:]