Asunción is a special destination for a weekend getaway. The Paraguayan capital awaits you with its profusion of greens, spa, varied cuisine, entertainment and the modernity of its shopping centers. In this post we share some tips for travelling to Asunción.
Tips for travelling to Asunción
Tips for travelling to Asunción: How to get there
- Asunción is less than two hours by plane from Buenos Aires. The airlines travelling are Latam and Aerolineas Argentinas. The most important airport is the Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, which serves the entire country. It is located in the city of Luque in the Gran Asunción, Central Department.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: When to go
- The best season to visit Asunción is the dried and soft which corresponds to the months between May and September. Avoid the hottest months (in summer can reach 40 degrees) and damp in the rainy season.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Documentation
- Paraguay does not require any visa or permission to enter the country. Argentines can enter simply by presenting the ID card.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: What to visit
- The 10 tourist places in the Paraguayan capital will include:
- The National Pantheon of Heroes
- Independence House
- López Palace and surroundings
- Botanical Garden
- Museum of Sacred Art
- Uruguayan Square
- Barrio Loma San Jerónimo
- Manzana de la Rivera
- Las Carmelitas and Villa Morra
- The Recoleta cemetery
- In this post we tell you what each one is about.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Money
- The Paraguayan currency is called “Guarani”. The exchange rate to date is USD $1: PYG. $6.009.
- There are coins of 50, 100, 500 and 1,000 guaranies; and banknotes of 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000, 50,000 and 100,000 guaranies.
- Shops tend to accept Argentine cards and local currency from cashiers can be extracted at the change of day. Another option is to bring dollars in cash because all shops accept them.
- Always authorize credit and debit cards before you travel. Without this process there is a risk that the bank will block them and obviously you can not use them. The debit you can easily authorize in ATMs in Argentina warning the exit to the outside (and when go back do not have to do anything, simply when go back to use in Argentina, the cashier automatically detects that you are in the country). It is advised (for credit) to notify the departure at least 48 hours before traveling. You can do it via the web or by phone, depending on the card and your bank.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Where to go shopping
- Asunción is shaping up every day as an increasingly important option for shopping tourism in Latin America.
- Shopping options include:
- Shopping del Sol: It is located in the neighborhood of Villa Mora, the area of the new corporate, commercial and residential axis of the city. It is located in front of the Dazzler Asunción so this hotel is ideal to stay there for a shopping tour.
- Paseo La Galería: It ranks No. 1 on TripAdvisor on What to do in Asunción and is the favorite place for meetings and shopping. With more than 140 national and international brands is a very new shopping (at the entrance there is a very beautiful green area with gardens and waterfalls) spacious and with three levels to travel.
- In this post we share some tips to go shopping in Asunción.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Relax Tourism
- Relax tourism is practiced all over the world and in this country is also intensely experienced. In this post we share you 5 Spa options for you to enjoy the tourism of Relax in Asunción.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Nightlife
- In Asunción the diversity of proposals for fun and entertainment abound. It imposes the culture of meetings with friends and departures until well into the early morning. If you go for work in this post we want to share 5 options to enjoy an after office in Asunción and have a good time with the co-workers.
- Among the various events carried out in the Paraguayan capital are the musical, culinary and sporting events. In this post we share some suggestions of shows.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Gastronomy
- The typical dishes are the locro (corn soup with meat) the baipy so (corn puree and chunks of meat) chicken borí, the Paraguayan soup and the Spanish stew. Click here to find out where to eat Paraguayan food in Asunción.
- In this post we share the 3 best romantic restaurants in Asunción.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Acommodation
- In Asunción you will find accommodation of all kinds, from the most modern and exclusive hotels, to more economical hostels passing through the mid-level accommodation. Click here to find accommodation in Asunción.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Time Zone
- The default time zone is GMT-3 (i.e. the same time as in Argentina).
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Electricity
- The electricity and voltage has an intensity of 220 volts (v) and a frequency of 50 Hertz (HZ)
- The C-type plugs are used in Paraguay.
Tips for travelling to Asunción: Apps
- Asunción Soy: Discover the city easily and based on your geolocation it offers activities and places: cultural events, concerts, local promotions. You can explore the sights of the city, discover where are the points with free wifi and a list of restaurants, bars, museums and theatres to enjoy your stay in Asunción. To download the application click here.
- Offline Map of Asunción: In the application are available 2 types of maps:
- Map 1: offline. It is possible to download it on a Wi-fi area and use it without Internet connection.
- Map 2: online. It allows to search for directions and store waypoints on the map.
You can add your personal or favorites places (for example, the hotel where you are staying or mark your favorite restaurants), find locations by address and plot the route by car or on foot. Available in Google Play.
- Taxipy: It is designed to order a taxi from a smartphone, with the assurance that drivers are reported in a reliable data base. It is linked to more than 1000 taxi drivers of Paraguay. The application can be downloaded from its website.