The best time to spot wildlife in Puerto Madryn already began. Since September and mid-December are the best days for travellers to the city wanting to observe local marine fauna. Whales, penguins, orcas, sea lions and elephant seals match this season on the shores of Puerto Madryn.
Best season to watch wildlife in Puerto Madryn
Magellanic Penguin Colony Watching
Between the months of September and March, you can visit the different colonies of Magellanic penguins on the coast of Chubut. One of the most important is Punta Tombo, located 170 kilometers south of Madryn, with almost a million specimens.
Another penguin colony that is worth to visit is the Estancia San Lorenzo, protected area in Punta Norte, which also has a restaurant, self-guided trails to get to know the flora and fauna of the place, and a shearing shed.
Until the month of December, the Penguins coincide with the greatest diva in Patagonia, the southern right whale. In the Natural area Doradillo the breaths of the whales break the monotony of the calm sea; and it is difficult to count the number of specimens that roam the bay from one end to the other, and again back.
Another option to see whales, even more closely, are the onboard sightings that are offered in Puerto Pirámides in catamarans, rubber boats rigid and in the Yellow submarine, a half underwater with windows below the water level and hydrophones to listen to how they communicate. According to the last census carried out by the CENPAT (CONICET), this season a record number of specimens of whales was recorded: 185 solitary individuals and 1420 mothers with calves, 1605 specimens in total.
Sea lions watching
Elephants and sea lions are seen at various points on the coast of Chubut, among them, the reserves of Punta Loma and Punta Piramide. In Puerto Madryn there are several providers that offer diving excursions and snorkeling with sea lions.
But tourists are not the only ones who come to these colonies of wolves: especially in the beaches of Punta Norte, between the months of September and April, the Orcas also peep out looking for prey. They wait for the tide to rise and as soon as they see the opportunity, they deliberately strand themselves on the beach to capture sea lions and feed.
Without a doubt, these days are ideal for those who want to see and come into contact with the characteristic marine fauna of Puerto Madryn and Península Valdés.
Useful information about Puerto Madryn + Reference prices 2018
- The only airline that flies directly to Madryn’s airport is Andes airlines.
- Airlines Argentina flies direct to the neighboring city of Trelew, from Buenos Aires and from Córdoba.
- The entrance to El Doradillo and Punta Loma is free; the entrance to the peninsula Valdés protected Natural Area costs $280 for national residents and Punta Tombo, $200.
- Diving baptism costs from $1500, and snorkeling with sea lions, from $2000.
- Whale watching on board costs $1750 for seniors and $850 for children under 12. And the view to Estancia San Lorenzo, with lunch, costs $450 per person.
- The double rooms cost from $2600 in 4 * hotels, from $1600 in 3 * hotels, and $300 beds in shared rooms. To find lodging in Puerto Madryn click here.
- Renting a car privately costs from $1700 per day.