Puerto Madryn is not only a destination to visit during the whales season. It is also…
The whales are on the shores of Golfo Nuevo, and with them came a lot of proposals for the upcoming winter holidays in this city of Chubut. Between the steppe and the bluest sea in our country, Puerto Madryn offers excellent cuisine, spacious beaches for walking, diving and snorkeling with sea lions, excursions in 4 x 4 and bike through the dunes, and different types of whale watching. In this post we tell you what to do in Puerto Madryn in winter 2018, where until the 1st of September can take advantage of low-season prices.
What to do in Puerto Madryn in winter 2018
Puerto Madryn in winter 2018: Whale watching
The winter holidays coincide with the arrival of the Franca Austral whale to the coast of Chubut, where they mate, give birth and teach to swim to their offspring. There are many ways to come to see them and spend some time with them: from the beach at Madryn or El Doradillo; in the watching onboard that depart from Puerto Pirámides, in boats, catamarans and semi-rigid; or in the Yellow Submarine with windows under the level of the water and hydrophones to listen to them. Noteworthy is that the boats are adapted to accessible tourism. Among the excursions, there is a new whale watching with picnic gourmet called Zonotrikia. Click here for more information of whale watching.
Puerto Madryn in winter 2018: Diving with sea lions
While snorkeling and diving with sea lions can be made throughout the year in Puerto Madryn, in winter the wolves are still puppies and play with swimmers. Always at high tide, the boat sails twenty minutes to Punta Loma reserve and anchored at a safe distance. Experts in the field, ensure that this is one of the most genuine, unforgettable experiences and actual contact with the marine nature.
In winter you can also enjoy Patagonian cuisine, from the hand of the chefs and local producers. Lamb, prawns, white salmon and seaweed wakame, cheeses, fruits and handmade chocolates, are some of the key ingredients in dishes that bear the stamp of Madryn at the plate, food festival which has already been eleven editions.
In the resorts of Puerto Madryn also kayaking by the Golfo Nuevo, windsurfing, stand-up paddle and even stand up yoga lessons, in coordinate whenever sea conditions permit. Another option for touring the Gulf is to take a ride on the Catamaran Regina Australe, restaurant on board and a deck that can be enjoyed a lot under the warm winter sun.
How much does cost to travel to Puerto Madryn in winter 2018?
How to get there
- The only airline that flies direct to Madryn airport is Andes Airlines, and the ticket costs from $2276 (roundtrip). Aerolineas Argentina flies to the neighbouring city of Trelew from Buenos Aires and Cordoba direct for $5200 (roundtrip).
El Doradillo and Península Valdés
- The entrance to El Doradillo is free and the entrance to the protected area of Península Valdés costs $220 for domestic residents.
- Located in the Centre of the city of Puerto Madryn, Puerto Madryn Dazzler has 95 rooms, breakfast room and bar. Guests can enjoy spa, gym, sauna, Scottish shower, massage rooms and a beautiful Sun terrace with view of the Gulf. To check prices and to book click here.
Whale Watching Rates
- Low season (June 15 to August 31)
- High season (September 1 to December 15)
- Low season (July 1 to August 31)
- High season (1 September to 31 October)
Related Posts about Puerto Madryn
- New underwater Park in Puerto Madryn
- What to do in Puerto Madryn during a weekend
- Where to eat in Puerto Madryn