The relaxed air and the short distance make Colonia (Uruguay) an ideal destination for the weekend getaways for Argentines, or for those who take advantage of holidays in the country. Only 50 kilometers of river separates Colonia from Buenos Aires. The cities are separated by the Rio de La Plata, the widest river in the world. What is the best way to cross the river?
There are several possibilities and the final choice will depend on the budget and the time that you want to invest. Today we share you the different ways to go (by sea or land since there is no airport in Colonia) to analyze what is the most suitable option for your trip.
How to go to Colonia from Buenos Aires
There are different boat companies that made the journey to Colonia from Buenos Aires. It is the most common way in which tourists and locals travel since the trip is usually comfortable and it is the faster way. The duration of the trip depends on the type of boat, the fast takes between 45 minutes to 1 hour and up to 3 hours slow boats. There are four companies to cross the Río de la Plata:
- Buquebus: It is the largest and most well known, the pioneer company. It departs from its port terminal in Puerto Madero (Antártida Argentina 821) in Buenos Aires and it has 3 daily trips on the fast ferry (Atlantic III) that makes the journey in only 1:15 minutes. Prices vary, depending on whether the class is tourist or first class and according to demand and season. You can consult prices and schedules on its website. You can find very good prices if you book with anticipation. You will reach to the port of Colonia, unique in the village and located 10 blocks from the historical centre.
- Seacat: It is the economic brand belonging to Buquebus (it leaves from the same Terminal, Dársena Norte) and it has 3 daily frequencies making the journey in an hour: 08:15, 12:00 and 18:55 hrs. There are different options of rates. You can consult prices and schedules on its website. It also has options of Day Tour with guided walks, lunch, rent of bikes, etc.
- Colonia Express: It is a new company. The only difference is that the Colonia Express Company boat departs from Pedro de Mendoza 330. Regularly it offers 3 daily trips between Colonia and Buenos Aires: 08:15, 12:30, 18:30. It makes the journey in one hour and 15 minutes. You can consult the prices and schedules on its website.
- Cacciola: It is the company that offers the cheapest price to cross the Río de La Plata in boat. But it is also the one that takes longer. The boat departs from Tigre to Carmelo and from there goes by bus to Colonia. To check the prices and schedules visit its website.
- By car: Colonia is 470 kms away of Buenos Aires. The journey by car is ideal for visiting also other locations of the Uruguayan coast. You must first reach to the city of Gualeguaychú and there cross the bridge San Martín on the Uruguay River and entering the town of Fray Bentos to the neighboring country. Then by the Uruguayan routes No.2 and No. 21 pass through the towns of Mercedes, Nueva Palmira, Carmelo and Colonia. There are approximately five and a half hours of travel.
- By bus: Bus companies that leave from the Terminal Tres Cruces in Montevideo and arrive to Colonia are COT and Turil.
Somos una cadena de hoteles 4 estrellas superior.
Una opción moderna orientada tanto al turismo corporativo como al recreativo.
Nuestros 9 hoteles, en 6 ciudades diferentes, tiene ubicaciones estratégicas y privilegiadas sobre avenidas principales, zonas gastronómicas, culturales y comerciales.
Vení a vivir el mundo Dazzler.
Latest posts by Dazzler Hoteles (see all)
- Puerto Madryn: Avistaje de delfines en verano - 21 January, 2020
- Vacaciones 2020: 5 paradores para pasar el verano en Rosario - 14 January, 2020
- Uruguay lanza tarjeta prepaga para turistas argentinos - 7 January, 2020